Emergency Logistics Manager (fixed term contract of 12 months)
Save the Children is the world's leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children's lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.6 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
By mid-2013 most of our international programmes will be delivered through a merged operation with 14 000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We're changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The Emergency Logistics Manager will lead in the backstopping of emergency responses, and support in the development and updating of relevant standards and procedures relating to humanitarian logistics needs. They will also conduct training and capacity building to support in-country offices to support prepared for emergency responses.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal job description and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
Qualifications and experience
* Extensive field level logistics experience in varied country contexts for INGOs in emergency programmes
* Strong understanding of key institutional donors and their compliance requirements in respect of logistics and procurement
* Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching at all levels and across multiple cultures
* Strong project management skills related to organisational development projects
* Experience of solving complex issues through analysis, definition of a clear way forward and ensuring buy in.
* Ability and willingness to change work practices and hours in the event of major emergencies including travelling at short notice and for extended periods of time
* Working knowledge of web development is an advantage
* Working knowledge of French is an advantage
* Commitment to Save the Children values.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Please note that the closing date for applications is 29th January 2013
For further information on this role, please see our website at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
How to apply: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to the link provided