Health Program Advisor
TEAM/PROGRAMME: Programme Implementation
LOCATION: Ukraine, Sloviansk with travel to the field/Kiev
CONTRACT LENGTH: 6 months
Fixed Term 1
Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.
The Health Advisor will be working with the health and nutrition program manager to ensure all health interventions are implemented in line with either national or global standards in the absence of national standards. The post holder will support health manager to ensure that monitoring processes are in place and functioning, and that high quality timely reporting occurs, and that the program quality and relevance is continually assessed and solutions quickly put in place for a change of context. The post holder is to:
* Recruit Health Programs Manager
* Provide strategic technical support to the country programme and technical support to the Health Programme Manager and the partners
* Support the quality, design and delivery of Save the Children's Health programming
* Responsible for the implementation of health programming in the country.
* Build the capacity of Save the Children (SC) staff in implementing health programming
* Responsible for the development of quality country-level interventions in the thematic areas of health and nutrition
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Program Operations and Risk Manager
Staff reporting to this post:
Direct: National Health Program manager
Indirect : Health Senior Officer
Budget Responsibilities: n/a
Role Dimensions: n/a
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY :
Support Health Program Manager to build her/his capacity in leadership and management:
* To ensure e appropriate staffing within the health and nutrition team, and ensure that all health and nutrition staff understand and are able to perform their role
* To establish performance management of all health and nutrition staff through effective use of the Performance Management System including the establishment of clear, measureable objectives, on-going feedback, periodic reviews and fair and unbiased evaluations.
* To identify development needs of staff and partners, and design capacity building program and create opportunities.
* Facilitate the development and implementation of detailed annual work plans and key monthly deliverables for each staff under supervision.
Support Health Program Manager to build his/her capacity in Programme Management:
* To ensure the timely implementation of health and nutrition project activities ensuring that health activities are delivered on time, on budget and in compliance with donor regulations.
* To ensure the health and nutrition programme is implemented in ways responsive to communities, partners and children in line with SC's principles, values and strategic plan and compliant with SC's procedures
* Ensure award/grant kick off and management tools, including implementation plans, Monitoring & Evaluation plans, procurement plans and distribution schedules of programme inputs in line with programme logistics/supply chain capacity are in place, tracked and updated regularly.
* Ensure that partner health and nutrition staff have work-plans in place and follow up with team members regularly to ensure that activities are on track
* Manage program budget, including phased budgets, monthly budget forecasting and quarterly budget revisions for all grants
* Ensure proper and effective use of program resources, ensuring that all resources/assets in project are managed in line with SC and Donor policy
* Monitor program progress against both programmatic and budgetary targets, and adjust program design as necessary.
* Prepare timely and high quality programme and donor reports on project activities in compliance with internal SC requirements and any relevant external donor requirements.
* Responsible for liaising with Operations/Field Management and Security on the movement planning of team and any necessary security assessments or reassessments of operational areas
* Close coordination with education, Child Protection and Food security livelihood teams on cross cutting needs and issues.
Support Health Program Manager in Partners management:
* Work with the Partnership team to identify appropriate partners for implementation of the health and nutrition response
* Ensure regular review of partner progress against the budget and work plan, and support partners to alter activities/strategies in light of context changes or operational challenges
* Review partner narrative and financial reporting as well as Monitoring & Evaluation data, in line with CO internal deadlines for Monitoring & Evaluation
* Undertake ongoing capacity assessments of partner, reporting areas for development to the Director of Implementation, Partnerships. And design and deliver necessary capacity building activities when it is applicable.
Lead Needs Analysis, Program Design, Proposal development and Implementation:
* Works with the health and nutrition team to lead the situation analysis, programme design, proposal writing and provide technical guidance to program implementation.
* Undertake close collaboration and consultation with partners, with logistics, finance and awards units ensuring effective integration at design phase.
* Lead the health and nutrition component of country level contingency planning and ensuring health and nutrition component is in all program planning and proposal design.
* Support partners to respond to new emergencies and spikes.
Strategy and Programme Quality
* Coordinate and enhance quality of health care programmes and ensure high quality programming that is in compliance with national guidelines or international guidelines.
* Contribute to gender sensitive programming and leading on gender inclusion in the implementation of projects.
* Provide technical support to implementation of existing health programs.
* Enhance collaboration with other technical departments to support integrated programming and improve impact.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning
* Guide health teams to develop and implement robust systems for gathering evidence and measuring impact, such as needs assessment tools, programme level indicators, quality checklists for use in spot checks, quality benchmarks, complaints and response mechanisms, internal review and programme evaluation work plans, and others with reporting systems which provide appropriate information for use in national and global advocacy
* Ensure that projects are monitored regularly, and that data is collected on a regular basis.
* Ensure that beneficiary accountability is taken in consideration throughout programme implementation
Representation and coordination when it is requested
* Represent Save the Children in various fora linked with health in order to increase visibility and networking opportunities between different stakeholders (government and non-government) in the health sector.
* Represent our work to relevant bodies, including donors, and identify changes to their policies and priorities that may create opportunities and threats for our funding.
* Comply with Save the Children policies and practice with respect to child protection, code of conduct, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies and procedures.
Other duties as assigned by line manager.
Additional job responsibilities
The duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with the SCI Equal Opportunities and Diversity policies and procedures.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Health and Safety
The role holder is required to carry out the duties in accordance with SCI Health and Safety policies and procedures.
BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice)
* holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
* holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities - giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
* sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
* widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
* future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
* builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
* values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
* approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
* develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
* willing to take disciplined risks.
* honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
Qualifications and experience
* Post graduate, Master or equivalent field experience in health, nutrition or related field
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
* 5 Years' experience at international level in technical support and/or programme management
* Direct experience of planning, implementing and measuring the impact of health, hunger reduction or other related programmes
* Successful track record of developing large-scale proposals (1Mln. USD and above) and securing funding from donors
* Clear commitment to, and experience of, developing and coaching staff, combined with the ability to give direct actionable feedback.
* Successfully working with minimal administrative support.
* Ability to analyse information, evaluate options and to think and plan strategically.
* Credibility to represent the organization to regional bodies and donors.
* Experience in working closely with local partners.
* Commitment to the values and mission of Save the Children.
Fluency in English essential and Russian/Ukrainian highly desirable.
Contract length: 6 months
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.